Pruning the execution client to free up disk space
Execution clients (formerly known as eth1 nodes) grow quickly. Run this process to prune the blockchain and free up space.
- Free up gigs of precious disk space. Typically 200gb or more is common.
- Works with geth currently. Erigon and Besu prune automatically.
- Ensure at least 50+ GB of free disk space is available otherwise database corruption may occur.
1. Note how much disk space is currently used and stop the execution client
sudo service eth1 stop
2. Start the pruning process and monitor it's process.
/usr/bin/geth snapshot prune-state --datadir $HOME/.ethereum
3. Once the pruning is finished, restart the execution client service.
sudo service eth1 restart
4. Compare the disk space of the node after pruning.